Thursday 16 December 2010

Long Walk to Freedom

We should put the spin-doctors in spin clinics, where they can meet other spin patients and be treated by spin consultants. The rest of us can get on with the proper democratic process.
Benn,Tony (Anthony Neil Wedgwood)
In The Independent,'Quote Unquote', 25 Oct.
It is said that a year is a long time in politics.
That being accepted, eighteen months in the Susan Boyle community can seem like a lifetime.

Since April 11th 2009, I think I can truly say I have experienced the full range of emotions several times over; from exhilaration, to the depths of despair.

When I first heard Susan sing, I experienced what everyone else on the forums describe.  Her audition tape still has the same effect.  Nothing has diminished.  I don't think it ever will.

I had never joined a forum before, let alone a fan forum, and in the beginning I felt awkward and quite shy.  I lurked for a number of weeks before summoning up the courage to join susan-boyle.com.  It took me almost as long to make my first post, and when I did I felt like a school kid sitting an examination.  I still remember the wave of relief when someone did actually reply to my post.

I soon made friendships, several of which I'm sure will endure. 'Virtual' friends became flesh and blood as we discovered the joy of Skype and could hear each other's voices.  We laughed, cried and celebrated Susan Boyle together and it was wonderful!

At times it seemed too good to last, and of course, it was.  

The community became splintered quite early in the history of the forum and it appears to me that some opportunists used that to forward their own agendas.

On numerous occasions I have had my words twisted around to mean something entirely different to what I intended.  Two individuals were particularly good at this.  One was the cyber bully; the other was Pickled Tink.  

A brazen example of this was illustrated in the Board report.  Not only did PT knowingly lie about my actions, but she manipulated my own words to make her lie seem more plausible.

When words are spun repeatedly, changing the characterisation and context of what was said, it may be clever, but it is not commendable.  It creates a pattern of deception.

I could have expected no better from the cyber troll, but I certainly expected better from Pickled Tink. I have only one message for her.  Nietzsche said it well,
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you”
And that is why I can never go back to susan-boyle.com.  It truly has been a very long walk to freedom....