Thursday 11 November 2010

Are We Having Fun Yet?

"Remember,without the staff,the forum would not have paramaters (sic), anything goes would be the rule, and it would notbe a fun place to be."
Are we having fun yet?

The forum  was certainly not a 'fun place' to be in July and August this year.....

I really am beginning to wonder just how much (or how little!) members know about what really happened on the forum in July and August.  It certainly was not a 'fun' place to be; for me anyway.

One of the elephants in the room is involvement of staff in the events of mid-July. In the middle of the chaos and disruption, I was shown an email written by a long-term and well respected member of staff in which she sent a warning to members that another small forum had plans to take over the forum at forum.susan-boyle.com.  It was obvious to me that she had been totally misinformed and so I wrote to her, to try to reassure her I knew of no such plan.  She replied to me and denied that she had sent it. 

She lied to me and I knew it.

It was to be another three or four weeks before I discovered who the instigator of that rumour was.  It was the cyber-bully who we now know was responsible for a plethora of problems on Susan Boyle fansites.

What I have great difficulty coming to terms with is why his word was accepted by staff who had already banned him under a number of different names on the same forum.

In August a thread was posted by someone I thought was an honourable member of the forum.  It libelled me and it repeated lies that were passed by the cyber-stalker troll to him.  It was allowed to stand by the staff for a week and only removed when it was pointed out that it could result in legal action.

Whilst I do appreciate the time and effort staff at the forum spend on a daily basis, my confidence has been badly shaken and it will take time to be restored.  No-one can demand respect.  I'm afraid that has to be warranted.  Baby steps.....