Tuesday 16 November 2010

On the Internet, No-one Knows You're a Dog

(cartoon by Peter Steiner)

It has been something of a long day today.  Some obstacles overcome and progress made; some still to face.  I have always tended to judge people on what they do, rather than what they say.  Some people talk a very good game....

Today was a day of reflection, amongst other things.  How much do we really 'know' about the people we think we 'know'?

I borrowed the iconic cartoon image from Peter Steiner to illustrate tonight's blog.

My husband used to refer to my forum friends as 'virtual friends'.  Thanks to Skype, I speak to most of them now, on a regular basis.  They become less 'virtual' and more real each time.  Even my husband speaks to one of them, and they exchange video clips!  Who'd a thunk it? But even that does not guarantee safety on the internet.

Some people are unwilling to chat by voice.  Those are the virtual friends of whom, perhaps, we should be wary.

I had a long period of correspondence with the cyber-troll; mostly about trivia, trips to the cinema and travelling.  I suggested a couple of times that we chat.  He always ignored that request, or had some excuse.

Someone on the forum once asked him what accent he had, and he replied that he had a Norfolk accent.  I am familiar with Norfolk accents, coincidentally.  I wonder if he avoided talking to me because he actually had the 'wrong' accent?  Intriguing, isn't it?

The important thing is, take nothing for granted.  That handsome 6' hunk you think you are talking to could be anything from a fictional character to something far, far more sinister.....


Think safety always.  You know it makes sense!
More tomorrow folks.  It's been a very looooooong day.